swayne johnson logo

St Asaph

Accidents at Work

Road Traffic Accidents

Accidents at Work

If you have suffered personal injury as a result of an accident at work, then we can advise you about making a claim for compensation, even if the accident was partly your fault.

We can advise you whether you are likely to succeed in proving that the accident was your employer’s fault. Your employer would be to blame if the accident was due to the employer’s negligence or a breach of one of the many statutory duties which apply to employers and self-employed people.

There are a great many regulations which have been made under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 for the benefit of employees. If your personal injury has been caused due to your employer not complying with one or more of those many regulations, then you will be entitled to compensation for the personal injury you suffer and also any financial losses which arise, including loss of earnings.

Some of the many regulations which might apply for your benefit include the following:

  • Workplace (Health, Safety & Welfare) Regulations 1992
  • Work at Height Regulations 2005
  • The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998
  • Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 2002
  • The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
  • The Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992
  • Employer’s Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Regulations 1998
  • Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR)

The different types of compensation:

The compensation for personal injuries is usually known as “general damages” or “damages for pain and suffering and loss of amenity” (PSLA). This part of the compensation will depend upon the nature of the injuries you have suffered, the way in which your life is affected by the injuries and also upon whether you make a full recovery or will be left with any long-term symptoms.

In addition to compensation for the physical injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for the psychological impact of the accident and its consequences.

Other types of compensation:

In addition to general damages, you may also be able to claim for financial losses arising from the accident. These are known as “special damages” and might include loss of earnings, the value of items damaged in the accident, the cost of any private medical treatment and care and assistance (or the value of such if it is provided voluntarily – e.g. by a family member or friend), extra travelling expenses and the cost of items purchased to enable you to cope better with the injuries.

Further helpful information can be obtained from the following websites:
APIL (Association of Personal Injury Lawyers) www.apil.org.uk
Health & Safety Executive www.hse.gov.uk

For more information, complete and return our Personal Injury or Civil Litigation form. Alternatively, contact  David Scott